Let it be to create a domain, point a Namecheap Nameservers, DNS management, or web hosting, Namecheap can bring your ideas to life.
Following are some of the details regarding nameservers that you should be knowing if you are creating a domain.
Table of Contents
- Using Default Nameservers vs Hosting Domain:
- How Reliable Are Namecheap’s Nameservers?
- How Can I Delete My Personal Nameservers?
- How to Nameserver Setup for Shared Packages in Namecheap?
- How To Setup Personal Nameservers? (Reseller Packages)
- How To Access IPMI for Dedicated Servers in Namecheap?
What are Namecheap Nameservers?
It is a server on the internet that is dedicated to handling queries about the location of a domain name’s various services.
Nameserver is the most essential part of the DNS which allows using the domains instead of IP addresses. Default Namecheap nameservers are dns1.namecheaphosting.com and dns2.namecheaphosting.com.
You can check the details of Nameserver Vs DNS Server to understand the difference between the two.
Using Default Nameservers vs Hosting Domain:
If you have chosen Namecheap to create your domain for your website, you have two options to choose from. You can either use Free DNS or DNS provided with domain registration and Hosting Services.
When you create a domain with Namecheap, you will automatically get the default nameservers like dsn1.registrar-servers.com.
👉 Sign in to your Namecheap account. You can click this link to visit the website – https://www.namecheap.com/myaccount/login-signup/
- Then select the Domain List which can be seen on the left sidebar
- Click Manage button
- Now click on the Advanced DNS tab
- At the button, you can find Host Records, click on that to add a new record
When a domain name is pointed to the default nameservers, the Host Records menu will be visible. If you cannot find the Host Record option, it means that your domain is pointed to a third-party nameserver.
If you have used Namecheap as your hosting service and point the domain to Namecheap hosting, then the server in which your account is created will act as a DNS server too other than web hosting.
To create a subdomain of your domain to a nameserver not associated with the domain itself then you can use the Namecheap ns record.
How Reliable Are Namecheap’s Nameservers?
The nameservers of Namecheap are geographically distributed to enhance the speed and performance of a website.
In case if one network is not working, the Namecheap DNS Records will automatically direct to another network to keep your website on all the time.
How Can I Delete My Personal Nameservers?
Check the following guidelines to know how you can delete your nameservers.
- Visit the website of Namecheap and Sign In.
- Click the Account option in the upper right corner of the screen, you can see the Domain List.
- Select the Domain List menu.
- Click the Manage button which can be seen on the same line as your domain for which you want to delete the personal nameservers.
- Click the Advanced DNS tab
- Under the Personal DNS Servers, select the type of your server
- Click on Search
- A menu will appear on the screen and you can delete the nameserver
Before deleting the nameserver, cross-check to know that no domains are using this nameserver.
How to Nameserver Setup for Shared Packages in Namecheap?
- Sign in to the Namecheap account and go to Domain List.
- Click on Manage
- Select Namecheap Web HostingDNS and save changes by clicking on the checkmark icon.
How To Setup Personal Nameservers? (Reseller Packages)
When you have the name servers registered, you should set them up on the server. You can register your nameservers if you have a reseller account with Namecheap.
- First Login to cPanel
- Navigate to the Domains section
- Click the Zone Editor option
- Now click + A Record
- You can create two A record for the two nameservers
- Log in to WHM (WebHost Manager )
- In the WebHost Manager Setup, set your nameservers(this will automatically apply to all new cPanel accounts that you create)
- Click on Save Changes.
How To Access IPMI for Dedicated Servers in Namecheap?
👉 To access IPMI for dedicated servers, it is essential to set up a VPN connection. Before setting the VPN make sure to check you have the necessary information mentioned.
- Generate a VPN connection to our IPMI network
- The VPN connection should now be set to work inside the private network.
👉 The above step is not mandatory but is highly recommended. Else, you will not have an Internet connection while the VPN connection is active.
- Connect to IPMI VPN network.
- Now browse to the IPMI interface of your server
What is a Private Nameserver?
These nameservers are DNS nameservers connected with a particular domain name.
Private nameservers can be used only by the web hosting company’s reseller, dedicated, and VPS hosting plans.
How Do I Namecheap a Domain To Namecheap Hosting?
✔ Sign in to your Namecheap account
✔ Select Domain List from the left sidebar
✔ Click the Manage button
✔ Click the Nameservers section
✔ Select Namecheap Web Hosting DNS from the drop-down menu
✔ Click Save Changes
How Long Does Namecheap DNS Take?
It takes about 24 – 48 hours when you change the nameserver for a domain.
These are some of the details of Namecheap Nameservers. It is possible to Namecheap change nameservers to Cloudflare if required. Moreover, Namecheap nameservers for Godaddy can be changed by setting up a few steps.
With Namecheap, you can look for a name server check to know how far your domain has propagated. Hope now you know what are nameservers for the domain and how it will function.